Sunday, June 20, 2010

A warm Embrace...

After leaving the congested city of Cairo and leaving Egypt behind on this trip, I made my return to Israel for a few days. I stayed in an elcetic part of Tel Aviv with my friend Tal, who I met through Couchsurfing.org a great website for those of you who are travelers...
The streets of Israel were so queit and peaceful after being in Egypt for so long. I determined that the sexual frustration of the men, mainly who are driving in Egypt is part of the sole reason for the ridiculous amount of honking and absurd state of driving. I remember in my travels through Indonesia, also a Muslim country, the drivers there were absolutely absurd as well...
So after being pleasanly greeted back in Israel (I loved returning from Egypt, going from being yelled at by crazy Muslim men, to being questioned by beautiful Israeli women). I will take the later of the two anyday!

So now after a flight up to St. Petersburg, I am walking through the streets of this old city, loving every minute. The Russians are in a good mood, as the weather is pretty good, the sun is shining for almost 24 hours, and the vodka continues to be excellent.
Upon getting into St. Petersburg, getting lost a few times, I met a young Finish woman on the bus, who helped me get to my new couchsurfing home, a little bit outside of the city, where she happened to know the people I am now staying with. I love the way the PERFECT souls end up in my life, in your life, exactly at the right moment. It would have taken quite a bit longer to find my new home and I would not have been so happily greeted, if there was just one simple change in any of my actions through the day.
It's amazing to me the way in which spirit, God, fate, destiny, divine presence, however you would like to put it... works in our lives. Even while traveling, I am meeting exactly the souls who are coming into my life, for the perfect reason. Each individual, whether I "speak' with them for two minutes on the train, or simply pass by with a big smile across my face, each one is there precisely at the correct moment.
One of the aspects of Russian life I am enjoying is seeing how many people I can get to smile throughout my day. Tyically, Russians are not very smilely or from an outside appearance happy individuals. I am very sure many of them are very inspired and happy within, but their outside presence is often cold and uninviting. So I like to smile at them to see if a smile will be returned. Its a fun game while going way down in the deep deep metro station...
Anyways, so I am learning some basic Russian, some of which is returning to me from my travels in Ukraine, and I am realizing the essential nature to learning the basics, as when you don't know any, most Russians just start speaking more loudly at you, thinking that a louder tone will strike some sort of part of your brain to understand what they are saying..
So its a continual journey and I am having fun along the way. It's "White Nights" festival time up here in St. Petersburg, so there is always something doing on...
Thats it for now, I am going to go have some yummie Borshe and cabbage salad, my new Russian Babuscka made for me, in the home I am staying.
blessing and love to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment