Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Haggling to the top...

As I awaken into the beauty of my surroundings, I find the gentle persuasive touch of these Egyptians all around me
Many are fighting for a few pounds
Many are smiling from within
The softness of their spirit
Fully alivens me to feel their sweet embrace.
For in the values of their others,
They have yearned for another way,
But the true beauty of their land
Is simply a stone throw away,
For when I stop to take a listen
And breath to feel their beat
The honking of their horns
Is just their way of taking to the streets
For I wait for those gentle moments,
When the haggling has drifted alee,
And the calmness of their embrace
Makes me want to crawl within their sheets,
But the prayers of their fathers
Lead them quickly to see
That the best occupation
Is simply there waiting to see
For they search and find their reason
Like everyone else of this world
And soon learn that the best is already here within their own two feet!

I spent the day yesterday poking through the remains and pure brilliance of engineering known as the pyramids. Josh and I stayed off the beaten path and headed directly for the red and bent pyramids of dashure. For those of you about to explore the pyramids, the tourist haggling spot is Giza and the others are barren and deserted.
We haggled and negotiated with a couple of "tourist police" and soon found ourselves climbing to the top of the third largest pyramid in eqypt, the Bent pyramid. The guards told us to keep queit about it, but the story is super sweet. After countless negotiation we won over their wallets for roughly 9 dollars a piece.
For me, it's not always about the expense but the pure joy of negotiating for the price, as both parties have fun and amusement!
The guards were happy and we climbed our pyramid.

After dashure, we found a ride with a Spanish banker, who had hired a private taxi and was willing to drive us to Sakkara.
Sakkara was a funeral complex filled with many old tombs and also the step pyramid.
The tombs were exquisite with 4 thousand year old hieroglyphics covering the walls.
After two pyramid complexes, we called it a day, and took our ride back into Cairo.
We walked along the Nile, taking a short break to enjoy a Egyptian Sakara beer along the way.
The gardens along the river were beautiful , but not thoroughly enjoyed by many as they were strangely cut off from easy access from both the tourists and locals... Some aspects of this country I have tremendous difficulty understanding, but more for another blog.
I travel now to Alexandria, to explore an ancient sea port town... My favorite!


- Posted with love using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Maadi, eqypt

No comments:

Post a Comment