Saturday, May 29, 2010

From trail to tea...

A few days ago, I woke up in Petra, boarded my bus for acaba to take the ferry to egypt! Once I boarded the bus, my little voice began to speak to me and told me I needed one more day in Petra...
I was very annoyed because I only bought a two day ticket and to return to the gates of Petra would be another 35 Jd (around 50 us dollars. )
So needless to say, I queited the voice and attempted to sleep before departing the mini bus station...
In due time, the bus driver turned off the bus and all I heard was "no is the time"
So unhappily I listened, confused the bus driver, grabbed my bags and began to walk back to valentine inn!
The voice from within told me to visit Aaron's tomb, which was almost 12km away from downtown Petra, and on top of that I had to find a way to get back into Petra!
I was very annoyed and really just wanted to board the bus and shrink my voice... However I knew that was no longer my path of being, do I chose to make the quest....
Once getting to Petra, I asked the taxi driver to get to little Petra, almost 15 i'm away. I had heard it was a beautiful hike and could get me in the back door.
Concisiously, I had asked the ticket people to extend mt ticket another day for the 4 jd difference, but they informed me I needed an entire new ticket. I had paid my dues and knew that this blog alone would drive a few more people through their pearly gates....



So I ventured to little Petra and began my quest...
I filmed a great video blog along the way which I will include soon, but did not film on my iPhone, only my camera!
Once arriving atop one of the mountain peaks, I saw my final destination almost 20-30 km away... Aaron's tomb.
Now, my fascination with this tomb is naturally from my name and since Aaron, Moses brother is the most famous Aaron inhistory, it was time to meditate by his side( his remains).
My quest to big Petra was a doozy with numerous times along the way, I was certain I was lost.
Now, let me remind you that this is not like being lost in your own country, where u can ask for directions, as the two Bedouin farmers I saw along the way, only really spoke to their sheep in Arabic and certainly not the English language...
After 15 km a lot of sweat and confusion I made it to downtown Petra to tourist central...
It was time for my lnxh of pita bread, dates and bananas.
I had spent the last two days exploring Petra, so my only reason for still being in Petra was making the quest to aaron's tomb....
After finishing my quick lunch, I asked a local Jordanian teenager, who was trying to pursuade me with a donkey ride, for the directions to Aaron's tomb.
He told me it would take about 2.5 hrs to get there and since this was from a local I knew thus time would be pretty acurate as compared to the usual guidebook info which is usually an hour or two behind.
So I began my solo quest to the tomb...
The road was fairly easily marked and the longer on the trail, the closer the white box 1400 m up began to appear.
I was happily greeted by an elderly man about half way who rummaged through his dirty yard with some super delicious tea!
Jordanians love to serve tea to foreigners. In tourist areas, they expect money or something in return, while in more abstract area they just do this out of the kindness of their Jordanian heart.
Once the small road disappeared into the mtn, it was now time to follow the random stacks of rocks to hopefully find the road up.
I began to ascend the mountain even more and the white marking of the tomb got closer.
When I arrived in the small valley before the last rise, I heard a man from behind a rock wall yelling something at me in Arabic...
Now, as a small sidenote, in normal situations when an older man starts yelling and signaling to you in another language, I usualy walk the other way as they tend to want money or something from you.
However, this man seemed to be diiferent, as is ant man living alone on top of a mountain for over ten years.
The man invited me into his little hut and began to pour some tea... My mouth was dry and the taste of sweet Jordanian tea sounded like a soothing orgasm to me at this moment....
I sat in his little place and without ant real language we began to speak. He asked about my family, and I continued to share my raw appreciation for the beauty of his country and his people...
After a few cups of tea, and my new friend browsing thru the modern technology of my iPhone, muhammed gave me the key to the tomb.
Yes, I learned that only because i sat for a tea and trusted this mysterious mtn man muhammed he was going to give the key to aaron , to let me see the remains of my soul.
So I ascended the mtn, used the key and began my appreciation and meditation in this sacred place!
See the videos I will soon post....
Upon coming off the mtn, I sat for one more cup of tea, and began my descent...
At the end of the day when Muhammad gives Aaron a cup of tea to let him see his soul, peace and compassion can truly exist anywhere in the world...


- Posted with love using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Petra, Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment