Sunday, April 29, 2012


Lessons in my first 1000 km of riding...
  • Always important to close all of your pockets when cycling (Jehovah’s angels may not be on every corner to find your wallet)
  • If you are on a road and you think it might be a highway, and locals keep stopping their car to yell something to you in Italian, chances are you are probably on a highway...but remember, a confused look with an endearing smile goes a long way for law enforcement.
  • Mountains and hills: as challenging as the terrain may look, it makes the feeling of achievement that much more intense when reaching a summit, especially cycling close to 50km/hr on the way down
  • While taking a water & breather at a roadside gas station that offers beer, be sure not to let the local Italians give you too much beer, as their intentions may not be of the purest form, they may be strangely attracted to the smell of sweat and dirty laundry you are carrying..
  • An extensive musical playlist is essential, or a word for word memorization of every song on your playlist will eventually happen.
  • Any extra gear that you think you may not need: do not bring, as every kilo counts when climbing.
  • A tent makes for off the road camping that much more of the adventure...
  • A GPS is great, especially when two separate signs going in opposite directions indicate going to the same city.
  • A “clean” dry pair of socks feels like heaven after days of riding in the rain...
  • A Gellato and a pizza are exactly what the doctor ordered when cycling 120+ km a day in Italy
  • Eating delicious Italian cuisine excessively the night before a long ride, only means additional carbs for additional miles the next day...
  • It is not necessary to cycle every day; take days off, take the train, enjoy the flow of having the option of cycling.  I realized that after just a day or two of rest, I was ready to get back on my saddle and continue the adventure.
  • Cycling with a companion (man, woman, dog, rabbit) can be outstanding, as days of talking to yourself and meditating in the mountains can eventually even get an independent solo traveler lonely.
  • Most importantly: Before this trip I had a belief that 100 miles was a long distance to travel by way of bicycle.  I recall a 65 mile trip I did with a few buddies in Hawaii.  I mentally prepared for a week or two and was fairly sore the next day. Truth is: I still do think 100 miles is a long way, however I realized that by simply setting my mind to conquer my initial goal (from Napoli to Sicily), my body followed my goal and I achieved it. Our bodies are capable of conquering just about anything, pushing ourselves to far beyond our mind’s limits, but the only way to really realize this, is just to take the first three foot toss to make it happen. (A three foot toss is that first step towards achieving your goal, which you are absolutely sure you know you are capable of doing: For me it was buying all of my cycling gear.)  For everyone, for every goal, for every dream, this three foot toss is different.  You are aware what your mind thinks you are capable of and what your spirit leads you toward.  Follow your spirit, it is not limited by judgements and misinterpretations.  When I was last in Europe, I had an idea of possibly doing a similar type of cycling trip, but just days before I left, I talked myself out of it, because I felt it was way beyond my comfort zone.  I couldn’t figure out the logistics of getting my bike around, visiting friends etc, and as a result I did not take the leap.  I had an excellent trip in Europe, but I knew this time would be different.  I also realized in just these few short weeks that logistically speaking: having my bicycle wherever makes travel and getting around a lot easier.  
Therefore, that spirit led decision of buying my bike, bike box and all my gear just a few days before flying to Naples, was one hundred percent accurate.  Every day I spend cycling has been an eye opening experience to more accurately and fully appreciating Italy, beyond just the cities and into the heart of the countryside. Riding through some of these small towns along the way, and receiving just a simple “chow” or “Bonjourno” with a smile from a local, has opened a greater space of love inside of my heart.
I am treasuring and looking forward to my continued journey through Spain, Marrocco and France and the future adventures that cycle touring will bring forward for me and my worldly and spiritual growth.  I’ll do my best to continue to share photos and blog entries along the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment